Tag Archives: Race Face

EWR Project – Phase Thirteen

After several months ‘off’ building bikes I finally completed one of the last tasks on this project, switching the ‘test’ stem for the proper Syncros CattleHead and cutting the steerer down on the new AccuTrax forks. In reality it didn’t take too long, most time was spent employing the ‘2p trick’ to separate the Syncros stem from the Race Face Air Alloy bars that had been sitting on my CD shelf at home for the last six months .

Measured twice just to make sure, knocked the old Star Nut through and out the bottom then got the Saw Guide out and sliced off just over an inch from the steerer, quick rub down with emery paper and on with the spacers and stem….dialled in perfectly at my magic 590mm dropout to bottom of bars measurement I have on all my bikes . A few more minutes faffing with preload and here we are….a nice pair of Period Correct Answer Alumilite DH bars from 1994 fitted to the NOS Syncros CattleHead stem.

EWR Project – Phase Twelve

OK so the NOS Accutrax forks went back in ok, first time this bike has had the correct sized forks in it since I bought it!!

The steerer is still uncut so short term I have switched the stem and bars so I can use normal stem spacers until I am 100% happy with the length, then I will cut it down. I couldn’t use my current stem as it’s a Syncros Cattlehead with one of those pesky angled tops on it, preventing me from using stem spacers above the stem

I’m thinking about modifying a stem spacer but that involves diagonally and accurately cutting a stem spacer to work with the angled top of the Cattlehead stem and I only really need to do this if I’m not 100% happy with the bar height.

So for now we have this ugly silver Specialized stem paired up with some VERY cool and scarce Answer Alumilite DH bars (still with the original gold shim ). I actually really love these bars and might stick with them, the only thing I’m not sold on is their colour as the rest of the bike has a black and yellow thing going on…


Here’s another neat trick to use with Oury Grips on a hot day…roll them off ‘condom/prophylactic’ style and roll them back on the new bars…..yep, you guessed it……’condom/prophylactic’ style

Rolling rubber…

Rolling it back on…

Continuing with the ‘body parts’ theme, what comes off the bike just looks sick….in fact do I need to spell it out or shall I just say “Pass the Butt Plugs”

So here we are with the temporary stem and bars and a mile of steerer tube…just while I convince myself the bar height is 500% correct…then the hacksaw comes out

So, for the first time ever maybe () I have two bikes in working order (just need to get the other five done now….)

1 x 7 Beater Project – Pt 2

Found the original rear mech that came with this bike back in 1991, this badboy has covered at least 10,000 miles and is still going strong




Then I found some spare cranks I had laying around and also an old 36t HyperGlide ring



And last but not least a saddle in……erm…..rather a distressed state

EWR Project – Phase Seven – Barbara ann ba ba

Saw Time
So, the Race Face bars were TOO wide so out came Mr Sandvik and I’ve lost 20mm of each end, sanded down the ends and reset the controls. Grips got refitted and some Helicopter Tape applied on the cabled side of the head tube and also on the Syncros Revolution cranks.

Minor tweak on saddle height too so it matches my Pace.

Freshly cut (and out of focus )


You should have seen them BEFORE they were cut!!!

So, you’ve read about using GT-85 and WD-40, Hairspray, water, glue……what about the ‘Zip Tie Trick’? Well, it works a treat. Get two long and strong Zip Ties, feed them down inside the grip, one either side, so the ‘teeth’ side faces the grip….push to get it started, make sure any logos or patterns are lined up how you want them, then ‘ski’ them up using the ties by pulling the ends (for best results ziptie the ties together so you have a ‘handle’). Once they are all the way up, pull harder and the Zip Ties will slide out.

Zip Tricks

EWR Project – Phase Six…Dial Time

Another week, another configuration and I’m back in that pine forest again for some more shakedown time, it’s a shame the place is a 100 mile round trip from my house else I’d be blasting round there all weekend….sadly I only get to go once a week and after work as it’s near my office

Last week was the first ever ride on my EWR and it highlighted some ‘handling weirdness’ that needed ironing out….and fast, so last weekend I pulled the front end apart, switched from a 0° rise 135mm stem to a 10° rise stem, lost the 1″ rise Club Roost bars in favour of some Race Face Air Alloy in 1.5″ rise flavour, moved one poker chip above the stem (leaving 20mm of spacing below), dropped the saddle height by 20mm, nudged the rails back and bled the back brake so it’s now ultra vicious

As much as hunting down elusive bike parts is a whole lotta fun, there’s nothing more satisfying than dialling a bike in so the ride is El Perfecto. Plenty of bikes look good in pictures but ride like a wheelbarrow full of runny shit…

So, it got blasted round the woods in the pitch black and wet and gnarly tree roots hidden by freshly fallen leaves focussed the brain   

That aside, my OWB rides 100% better than it did last week but I think these bars are a bit too Cowhorn for my liking. Since 1988 I’ve ridden flat bars and bar ends so this whole riser bar thing is a little freaky to me full stop and these Race Face bars are about a mile wide ……

I suspect that if they stay on the bike they will be saying hello to my little friend….the Sandvik Hacksaw for some ‘amputational correctness’

Cowhorns in the pines

Good job the trail was wide here…

Cowhorns in the pines Part II

%d bloggers like this: